Investigative Journalism Bureau Reporting Position
A unique opportunity to dig deep into public interest reporting at a leading Canadian non-profit investigative newsroom based at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health at the University of Toronto. We’re looking for an experienced researcher/reporter for a dynamic new role working with journalists, researchers, academics and students on in-depth journalistic projects.
Position: Investigative journalist, contract position
Eligibility: A mid-career journalist or researcher with experience in investigative research able to work collaboratively.
Term: Jan. 1, 2022 – July 31, 2022
Location: Toronto preferred but flexible
Remuneration: Ranges from $32,500 to $49,500 based on experience
Deadline for applications: November 19, 2021
The Contractor shall provide the following services to the IJB:
- Conduct original research, interviews and reporting on matters of public interest related to projects undertaken by the IJB
- Coordinate educational and editorial partnerships with other teaching programs involved in these investigations
- Oversee student reporting, writing and other editorial work associated with each investigation
- Help to coordinate editorial strategies with professional journalists, editors and media partners.
The Contractor shall provide such services competently and efficiently and in accordance with applicable service standards.
Command of French, proficiency with data analysis tools such as Microsoft Excel and Access and experience in multi-media reporting (including audio and data visualizations) are assets.
The estimated time commitment is 40 hours per week.
All applicants are asked to submit a University of Toronto Invitation to Quote For Services under $100,000, including proposed remuneration level, to this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply:
- Download the Invitation to Quote under $100,000 form (IJB Supplier quote for services TO BE COMPLETED BY APPLICANT) from the link below
- Fill out the relevant sections of the form, titled “SECTION 2: To be completed by the Supplier”, located on pages 3-4
- Use subsection A) on page 3 to your journalistic and research skills and how they directly relate to the stated job requirements.
- Use subsection B) to describe your journalistic and research experience to date, including any investigative or collaborative work.
- Use subsection C) to describe the total fixed fee for all deliverables. As a reminder, the salary range available is $32,500 to $49,500 at 40/hours per week, based on experience.
- *Note: We have also included an example template (IJB Supplier quote for services EXAMPLE TEMPLATE) of a completed Invitation to Quote for Services form you can download
- Please send the completed form, resume, selected work samples and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Investigative Journalism Bureau Reporting Position”
We’re grateful for the interest of each applicant, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will take place in late November and early December.
If you have any questions or issues, please don’t hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org